Stanegarth was brought to Stoney Cove as a project in association with DIVER magazine.
The Stanegarth was originally built in 1910 as a steam powered tug by Lytham Ship Builders Co. for Rea Transport Co. Ltd. of Liverpool, she is older than The Titanic! She was later converted to diesel power with the addition of an enclosed wheelhouse in 1957. In 1999 we found Stanegarth abandoned at Sharpness, Gloucestershire.
It was only when bulwarks fore and aft were cut off, that the tug could be lifted and the trip to Stoney Cove began. On arriving at Stoney Cove, the Stanegarth brought fresh headaches as she stuck fast in the entrance.
Stanegarth is the largest shipwreck in any dive centre by a long way!
The Stangarth can be found on a 190° bearing form the Bus Stop (A).
The Stangarth can also be found on a 220° bearing form slip way (B).